Monday, February 18, 2013

Eggs! For Breakfast! Again??

I get so sick of eggs for bfast. But I also literally get sick when I eat lots of carbs and sugar for bfast. I tried these two recipes this weekend and both were delicious! And neither really felt like I was eating eggs. Both recipes and many other tempting unique recipes can be found here at I Breathe, I Am Hungry

The general idea is omelet meets Meringue. You can put any ingredients into the whipped egg white. I did Jack cheese, parsley, chives and chopped deli ham al of which were leftover from something else. The trick to making it pretty (where I failed) is to keep the yolk whole. I broke them to stir salt and pepper into the yolk and they spilled all over while baking.


Makes 4
4 eggs, separated
2 ounces Chorizo
2 Tbl chopped cilantro
2 Tbl chopped scallions
1/3 cup finely grated cheese
(your favorite)
Remove the chorizo from the casing and cook thoroughly.  It was such a small amount and I was cooking other stuff for the blog on the stove at the time (cauliflower tater tots! What?!?  Yeah, that’s right.) and I didn’t want to dirty a pan for that little so I cooked the chorizo in the microwave for 2 minutes and it worked perfectly.  I drained out the fat and set the sausage aside.  Meanwhile, beat the 4 egg whites until stiff.  I do it by hand cause I’m so hard core, but if you want to be a wuss about it you could use a mixer. ;) Then fold in the chorizo, cheese, scallions and cilantro (GENTLY people!) until mixed.  Add a pinch ofsalt and pepper.  On a greased cookie sheet, place four spoonfuls of the egg white mixture at least 2 inches apart.  Make a slight well in the center and gently place an egg yolk in each one.  Bake in a preheated 375 degree (F) oven for about 6 minutes.  Keep an eye on it though, you definitely don’t want to overcook these and miss out on that fabulous runny yolk!  Garnish with avocado slices and fresh cilantro.  These are excellent for those of us doing the low carb thing, but also not super high in fat or calories for everybody else!  Give them a try, you won’t be disappointed – and get a little crazy and experiment with your own flavors!  Let me know how they come out and if you find a great new combo! 



Cream Cheese Pancakes- NO FLOUR!!? Easier than pancakes and very similar to crepes. I served ours with Berry Preserves. Next time I am doing fresh peaches or our old standby softened cinnamon/maple apples and chopped walnuts.

** I quadrupled the original recipe and it was perfect for our family of four (two boys who eat lots of pancakes)


Ingredients
  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 8 eggs
  • 4 Tbsp Xylitol or Stevia (recipe calls for "1 packet of Stevia" I was out of Stevia and don't know how much a packet is equivalent to. I am not sure that the sweetener is that important? You are going to add some jam or syrup to the top anyway.)
  • 2 teaspoon cinnamon
Instructions
  • Put all ingredients in a blender or magic bullet. Blend until smooth. Let rest for 2 minutes so the bubbles can settle. Pour batter in pancake form into a hot pan greased with butter or pam spray. Cook for 2 minutes until golden, flip and cook 1 minute on the other side. Repeat with the rest of the batter. Serve with sugar free syrup (or any syrup of your choice) and fresh berries.
Notes
Approx nutrition info per batch: 344 calories, 29g fat, 2.5g net carbs, 17g protein


No comments: