Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cauliflower Muffins

Bear with me. Don't turn away. These are great! We have enjoyed these in the morning with eggs, with chili and with a dinner salad that was dying for a starchy carb to go with it. Think tasty cheesy cornbread- but without the starchy corn and flour!

These Cauliflower Muffins are from I Breath I am Hungry. Thanks to this blogger, I now know how to "Rice" Cauliflower. I like making Cauliflower Mashed potatoes and simply threw my extra cauliflower rice from making these muffins into the stew I made for dinner tonight. Having a fast, easy way to go from huge gead of cauliflower to "invisible" cauliflower is invaluable!!




Here is the Recipe. My only caveat is that John thought the taste was a little funky. Cauliflower is pretty tasteless (that is what makes it a great potato substitute) and I doubt the coconut flour could have offended either. I decided it has got to be the fancy deli parmesan I just bought. So, next time I am going straight Cheddar/Mozzarella.

Jalepano Cheddar Muffins


Makes 12 muffins
Recipe Ingredients:
2 cups finely riced, raw cauliflower
2 Tbl minced jalapeno (I used one Tsp for the kids' sake)
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbl melted butter
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 Tbl dried onion flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup coconut flour
Combine the cauliflower, jalapeno, eggs, add melted butter in a medium bowl.  Add the grated cheeses and mix well.  Stir in the onion flakes, salt, pepper, garlic powder, baking powder and coconut flour until thoroughly combined.  Divide the batter evenly between 12 greased muffin cups (I used cupcake foils and didn't worry about greasing).  Bake in  preheated 375 degree (F) oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.  Turn off the oven and leave the muffins inside for one hour to firm up.  Remove and serve warm or cold.

3 comments:

Laurel said...

hmmm... I want to try these.

Rachel said...

me too. I don't like cauliflower on its own. I like it in sauces and soups so this seems right up my alley.

Unknown said...

You do not have my permission to post my recipes and photos from ibreatheimhungry.com. (cauli muffins, cream cheese pancakes, and others)Please remove all of them immediately. I will check back in week and if they are still here I will have to report you to blogger who will shut your blog down without notice for using copyrighted content. I see other bloggers recipes and videos that I recognize as well - you may want to remove them before they report you without the courtesy of giving you a chance to remove their content first. Thanks. mellissa from ibreatheimhungry.com