Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies


Another of my all time favorites. I don't mean sugar cookies are my favorite- usually they are cripsy, flat and down right dull. But THESE sugar cookies are one of my favorite cookies. The sour cream makes them so soft and the almond extract with cream cheese frosting makes them taste delicate and mouth watering! I take them out of the oven before they start to get brown when they are still "dough colored" to ensure optimum softness.

After making Cream Cheese Kolacky who wants to roll out and cut more cookies? Not me. So, instead, I lay out a large sheet of plastic wrap (large enough to wrap around a "dough log"). I then pile the dough in big spoonfuls lengthwise along the center forming a rough shaped log. Then I wrap the plastic wrap over the log and roll it like a rolling pin to make the log even and round. The idea is that you can take a knife and slice the dough from the end and have round, circular cookies to place on the cookie sheet.

I know cookie cutter shapes are fun. But for most seasons I can think of a circular object to decorate the cookies as. Easter Eggs, Summer Beach Balls, Fall Pumpkins and Christmas tree ornaments.

Hope you like them!

1 cup butter softened
1 cup sour cream
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla (I use almond instead)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
4 tsp. baking powder
5 cups flour

Cream butter and sugar. Add sour cream and mix, Add eggs and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together and add gradually. Mix well. Either shape into a roll if you plan to slice into circles or form into a disk if you plan to roll and cut the dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour. To cut the dough with cookie cutters, roll dough out 1/2 inch thick on well floured surface (may be a bit sticky so flour well). To cut into circles slice 1/2 inch slices starting at the end of the roll. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Frost when cool. Makes 4 dozen.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 tsp. vanilla (or almond)
4 cups icing sugar
8 oz cup cream cheese, softened
A few drops of milk (may need more depending on consistency)


Photo and recipe from Lindsay Miller




No comments: