Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Old Fashioned Tapioca Pudding

John grew up on late evening Tapioca. He loves it- its a soft warm memory food for him I think. When we got married I would make Minute Tapioca every so often. We would double the recipe as the two of us can take down a lot of tapioca.

When we moved and I couldn't find Minute tapioca at the local Walmart I found Bob's Red Mill Tapioca at the Sunflower Farmers Market. I brought it home and John wanted to make some. I was doing laundry or something and told John to start the recipe on the back of the bag. When I returned the kitchen I realized he had doubled it- we always do- and the (doubled) recipe called for almost 5 cups of milk and 4 eggs! Looked like I would be going to the store in the morning to re-fill our milk haha.

BUT I was soo soo happy we doubled it later that evening. I never knew tapioca could be so good! With folded whipped egg whites it is creamy and fluffy beyond any tapioca I have ever had. Never going back to the regular Minute Tapioca and heavens NO! to tapioca in the pudding cups.

Ingredients

* 1/3 cup Tapioca (Small Pearl Old Fashioned)
* 3/4 cup Water
* 2-1/4 cups 2% Milk
* 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
* 2 Eggs, separated
* 1/2 cup Sugar
* 1/2 tsp Vanilla

Directions
Soak tapioca in water for 30 minutes in a 1-1/2 quart saucepan. (I have soaked for as little as 10 min and we are good to go)

Add milk, salt and lightly beaten egg yolks to tapioca and stir over medium heat until boiling. Simmer uncovered over very low heat for 10-15 minutes. Stir often. (Grab a book and stand by the pot stirring- or your milk will make a thick skin on the bottom of that pot).

Beat egg whites with sugar until soft peaks form. Fold about 3/4 cup of hot tapioca into the egg whites, then gently fold mixture back into saucepan. (This way you don't cook the whites)

Stir over low heat for about 3 minutes. Cool 15 minutes then add vanilla. Serve warm or chilled, plain or with fruits, nutmeg or coconut mixed in. Makes 3-1/2 cups.

No comments: